DC5040 has been evaluated for use as a fire-protective coating for wood-based products. The coating has been evaluated as part of a fire-resistance-rated assembly and for interior finish. The fire resistance, surface burning characteristics, durability, and effects on mechanical properties of the I-joist comply with the intent of the provisions of the following codes and regulations:
- 2018, 2015 and 2012 International Residential Code® (IRC)
DC5040 is a water based thin film intumescent coating used to provide fire resistance to engineered wood framing members such as I-Joists.
- ASTM E119 “Standard Test Method for Fire Tests of Building Construction and Materials”.
- ASTM E84 “Standard Test Method for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials”.
- ASTM E84 “Standard Test Method for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials”, extended 20 minutes.
- ASTM E2768 “Extended Duration Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials (30 Min Tunnel Test) “.
Safety Data Sheets
Certified Applicator Program
DC5040 is a water based thin film intumescent coating providing fire resistance to I-Joist and engineered wood framing members. Applied to the I-Joist only, once the I-Joist are installed, DC5040 provides equivalence to the 2-by-10-dimension lumber prescribed in Section R302.13, Exception 4 of the 2015 IRC® and Section R501.3, Exception 4 of the 2012 IRC®.
DC5040 has been fire tested in accordance with a full-scale ASTM E-119 and meets the fire testing requirements of ICC-ES AC14.
SAVE MONEY USING DC5040
National averages confirm that the cost per sq. ft. to install a coating vs. ½” Gypsum is about the same. Given the fact that, when using DC5040, all you must coat is the I-Joist you reduce the square footage required to be protected by 20-30% over the installation of Gypsum and hence reduce the overall cost by 20-30%!!
|Finish Color||Flat White|
|Solids By Volume||67%|
|Specific Gravity||1.35+/-0.05 g/cc|
|Drying Time||@77° F & 50% R.H. – To touch 1 – 2 hours, to recoat, if required, 2 to 4 hours|
|Reducing or Cleaning||Water|
|Shelf Life||1 year from date of manufacture in unopened containers and stored at 10°C to 27°C (50°F to 80°F)|
|5 Gal. Container Weight||58 lbs.|