Protect I-Joists, Floor and Wall Assemblies
DC5040 is a water based thin film intumescent coating used to provide fire
resistance to common construction assemblies such as gypsum walls, floor/
ceilings and engineered wood framing members such as I-Joists.
DC5040 complies with IBC/IRC Building Codes and provides a Class “A” Interior
Finish rating in accordance with ASTM E84.
DC5040 has also been tested to provide a 30-minute rating to various
combustible substrates in accordance with ASTM E84 (30 Minute), ASTM E2768
and meets the criteria of NFPA 703 Standard for Fire Retardant Impregnated
Wood and Fire Retardant Coatings for Building Materials.
DC5040 ASTM E119-CAN/ULC S-101 testing can be used to increase the fire resistance ratings of certain assemblies common in the built environment such as gypsum wall and floor assemblies.
- ASTM E119 “Standard Test Method for Fire Tests of Building Construction and Materials”.
- ASTM E84 “Standard Test Method for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials”.
- ASTM E84 “Standard Test Method for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials”, extended 20 minutes.
- ASTM E2768 “Extended Duration Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials (30 Min Tunnel Test) “.
- CAN/ULC S-101 STANDARD METHODS OF FIRE ENDURANCE TESTS OF BUILDING CONSTRUCTION AND MATERIALS
- CAN/ULC S-102 STANDARD METHOD OF TEST FOR SURFACE BURNING CHARACTERISTICS OF BUILDING MATERIALS AND ASSEMBLIES
CA 1350 VOC (Compliance for Schools and High Occupancy)
Safety Data Sheets
Certified Applicator Program
DC5040 is a water based thin film intumescent coating providing fire resistance to I-Joist and engineered wood framing members. Applied to the I-Joist only, once the I-Joist are installed, DC5040 provides equivalence to the 2-by-10-dimension lumber prescribed in Section R302.13, Exception 4 of the 2015 IRC® and Section R501.3, Exception 4 of the 2012 IRC®.
DC5040 has been fire tested in accordance with a full-scale ASTM E-119 and meets the fire testing requirements of ICC-ES AC14.
SAVE MONEY USING DC5040
National averages confirm that the cost per sq. ft. to install a coating vs. ½” Gypsum is about the same. Given the fact that, when using DC5040, all you must coat is the I-Joist you reduce the square footage required to be protected by 20-30% over the installation of Gypsum and hence reduce the overall cost by 20-30%!!
|Finish Color||Flat White|
|Solids By Volume||67%|
|Specific Gravity||1.35+/-0.05 g/cc|
|Drying Time||@77° F & 50% R.H. – To touch 1 – 2 hours, to recoat 4 hours|
|Reducing or Cleaning||Water|
|Shelf Life||18-24 months from date of manufacture in unopened containers and stored at 10°C to 27°C (50°F to 80°F)|
|5 Gal. Container Weight||58 lbs.|